Making a Complaint

An Explanatory Guide

Full Complaints Procedure – DOWNLOAD HERE

We work to high standards and we hope this is reflected in your experience with us.

That sounds fine – but what if I have a complaint?

Complaints can be made by any person including, but not limited to:

  • service users
  • victims of crime (or their family)
  • members of the public.

To be considered, your complaint has to be about an action or decision, or failure to act or decide, on the part of the employees of The Warwickshire and West Mercia Community Rehabilitation Company.

We can’t look into something that is already being investigated by the police or subject to a decision of the courts, statutory tribunal, Parole Board, Crown Prosecution Service or the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

Your complaint won’t normally be considered if it is about something that happened more than 12 months ago, or that you could have known about a year ago.

It is best to talk

Face-to-face or over the telephone with the person involved can often be the solution.

If this is difficult, ask to discuss it with a more senior member of staff.

Pen to paper

You can make a formal complaint in writing, or someone can make a formal complaint on your behalf if you give them your written permission. You should sign your complaint and send it to the Chief Officer of The Warwickshire and West Mercia Community Rehabilitation Company at the following address:

Director of Justice contact details:

Dal Veysey, Director of Justice, The Warwickshire and West Mercia Community Rehabilitation Company Ltd, Head Office, 3rd Floor, Elgar House, Worcester, WR4 9EE.

Within five working days of receiving your letter the Director of Justice will explain how your complaint will be handled and will give you a date by which you can expect to be told the outcome.  She will also send you a copy of our complaints procedure so that you know what will happen about your complaint.

If your complaint is about an issue involving the Director of Justice, you should address your letter to the NOMS Chief Executive.

Chief Executive, National Offender Management Service, Clive House, 70 Petty France, London. SW1H 9EX

If you are not satisfied:

Once your complaint has been investigated, if you are not happy with the outcome the Chief Officer has reached, you can appeal within 20 working days of receiving the outcome letter. To do this you need to write to the Chief Officer and explain why you want to appeal; your letter will be acknowledged within five working days of the CRC receiving it.

A panel will look at your appeal. They may ask to meet you and the investigating officer.

The result of the panel will normally be sent to you within 20 working days of receipt of your original appeal but if the panel needs a bit longer to review your appeal and reach a decision they will let you know. 

If we have been supervising you or preparing a report on you, and you have taken all of these steps and are still dissatisfied with the decision…

You can write to the Prison and Probation Ombudsman, at:

Prison and Probation Ombudsman, PO Box 70769, London, SE1P 4XY.

within one month of your appeal decision if you have:

  • been under the supervision of the Community Rehabilitation Company.
  • been housed in probation accommodation
  • had a report prepared about you for use in court.

If you have taken all of these steps and are still dissatisfied with the decision…

The Parliamentary Ombudsman can consider your complaint. However, they will normally only take on a complaint after you have first tried to resolve the complaint and received a response through the CRC and the Ombudsman.

If you have done this and you are still unhappy, you will need to ask a Member of Parliament to refer the complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman for consideration.

A complaint form which gives all the information you would need can be found at or can be requested by calling 0345 015 4033.


“Privacy Notice” – How we use your information

The processing of personal data is governed by the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA), under which the Warwickshire & West Mercia Community Rehabilitation Company (‘the CRC’) is registered as a data controller. The CRC processes personal data in order to fulfil its functions and obligations in relation to both members of staff and offenders, and for other purposes connected with offender management.

The CRC complies with its obligations under the DPA by:

  • Keeping the personal data it holds up to date
  • Storing and destroying it securely
  • Not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data
  • Protecting personal data from loss, misuse, and from unauthorised access or disclosure
  • Ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect the personal data

You have the right to request details of any personal information about you that the CRC may hold. Should you make a request to have a copy of this personal information then a fee of £10 is payable at the time of the request. Your request will be processed in line with the DPA but you need to be aware that in certain circumstances some information may be covered by an exemption which means it might not be disclosed to you.

You can request that any personal information is corrected if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date.

From time to time it may be necessary for the CRC to share personal information with other organisations to fulfil its functions or to enable another organisation to fulfil its own functions. These organisations include the National Probation Service, Her Majesty’s Prisons and other government departments, law enforcement agencies, local authorities, and private or voluntary sector organisations engaged to deliver services. Personal data is only shared outside the CRC where the law allows.

Full Complaints Procedure – DOWNLOAD HERE

Making a Complaint Leaflet - DOWNLOAD HERE